Saturday, August 3, 2013

Living the Dream

Oh man! So much to catch up on, so little time!! We've had an AMAZING but exhausting few days, makin it happen in LA!

On Wednesday we made it out to Burbank early and signed up for extra work. Within a couple hours of signing up, just as we were walking through the front door, Han got a call from Central Casting about a job the next night! We called back a couple minutes later to check if there was another opening for a "female club goer" and they said they were all filled up! Oh no!! We were super bummed cause we'd really wanted our first day on set to be togeth -- the phone rang! It was the casting director and she said someone else had cancelled so she wanted Lucy to take her place!! Yeeee! We got pumped, chose options for wardrobe, set alarms, and listened to the info tape about 20 times before calling it a night.

We slept in Thursday morning because we knew it'd be a late shoot, then got all dolled up - the closest we'll get to clubbin until we're 21! We left plenty early to get to set and made it to the studios with time to spare! It was such a cool, surreal experience! We had to check in, then went to wardrobe and showed them our options for their approval, then on to makeup where the really nice makeup artist did touch ups, then on a van to go to hair across the lot, and finally back on a van to holding.

We met this really great guy, Mike, while we were waiting and bonded over our New England roots. It turned out that he was booked for the same job as Lucy the next night! He offered to give her a lift so our car logistics troubles were sorted! We hung out with him and had a huge buffet meal provided by catering - so good! Then we all hopped back on the vans to head to location.
We were shooting in a nightclub (kind of obvious) but we can't say much more than that! It was a super fun night, though, and we met some awesome people, laughed a lot, got sore feet, and learned the ropes of background work! 
We got home around 3:00 and fell into bed, loving the excitement of the LA life! We had different call times yesterday so Lucy got her best attempt at 40s clothes together while Han ran out to H&M for clothes to pass as a waitress.

All ready, Mike picked Lucy up to go to the set of Mob City and Han left shortly after for Revenge... 

--Lucy--
After a couple wrong turns, a complicated parking lot, and a long walk through the train station we were filming in, Mike and I made it to set just in the nick of time! As soon as I checked in it was straight off to wardrobe to get my first outfit! Then it was time for hair and makeup back at base camp. It was really cool to get my hair and makeup done by the professionals - I felt like a celebrity!Once hair and makeup were done with me they hurried me across the street to the set for my first scene! Very exciting! I met some really lovely girls and we snapped a quick picture in our costumes!
 Straight after that it was back to wardrobe to get my second outfit and then hair and makeup again! At this point it was around 7:30 - three and a half hours after I'd arrived - and I was starting to get hungry! But all the extras went into the train station and prepared for more filming. 

The train station scenes were crazy! Extras were walking everywhere and it was a constant flurry of activity. I got to know a few of the other extras and everyone was so nice! There were also periods of time when it was only the principal actors being filmed, so we could sit and watch them act which was amazing! So interesting to see such skilled people and try to pick up on what makes them so great. After what seemed like only a few minutes, it was 12:00 and my feet were aching and my stomach was rumbling! Finally they let us break for half an hour to get a nice dinner. Mike and I made sure to get a photo in our 40's costumes before we went back on set!
We kept working on until the wee hours of the morning when they dismissed some of the extras. At 5:00 in the morning I hobbled over to wardrobe with Mike and we returned our costumes and signed out. Mike drove me home (very nice of him!) and I managed to cross paths with Hannah just as she was leaving the apartment! I got into bed as the sun was coming up and fell into a deep sleep...Three hours later I woke up with a terrible cramp in my calf muscle! Oh. My. God. I guess wearing heels for 12 hours straight isn't the best idea haha. It was pretty intense. But eventually it subsided and I fell asleep again. 
The rest of my day was very relaxed! I slept until 1:30 and then spent the afternoon trying to recover from my crazy all-nighter on set. Eventually Han came home and we finally got to tell each other about each of our wonderful experiences! It was kind of surprising how much I missed her after not seeing her for a day and a half! Makes me a bit nervous for when she leaves to go to her college but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it! 


--Hannah--
I rocked up on set way early but I was glad not to have to worry about being late to check in. There were only a couple extras there when I arrived - one lady who was super nice and gave me some tips on waitressing (for which I was feeling a little unprepared) and a guy, Nick, who was so cool! He was a regular stand-in so he knew all the crew and he was super friendly and easy to talk to. I ended up spending most of my holding time with him and a fellow waiter, Marshall, who was really nice as well! 


After I got my hair/makeup/wardrobe checked out at base camp, we all drove to location! I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to give away, but it was a really classy restaurant and the set was really professional, definitely the real deal. They were filming two scenes and I actually got a fair bit of screen time in the first one! All day I had been playing over and over in my mind my worst nightmare of having a huge tray of drinks and dropping them everywhere, so I was hugely relieved when they gave me a jug of water to walk around with! I had heaps of crosses, the AD remembered my name, and I spent a lot of time up close to the principle actors - they were so good! It was awesome to just watch them and try to learn as much as I could. I was feeling pretty spesh and I couldn't have hoped for a better second night on set! Watch out for me on season 3!! Ahh it was such a surreal and incredible experience, I'm still on a high from it, and the people I met were all so friendly and supportive and fun! 

I got home around 2:00am which wasn't too bad, except that I had a 7:30 call time for this morning on another set - this time for a Christmas movie! That meant leaving, camera ready, by 6:30! I pushed through the tiredness and had another fun day today. It wasn't tricky work and I was there for 10 hours so I made good money too! I'm ready and excited for a good night's sleep tonight, though, and another day on the same set tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment